Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

ASG Conference Reviewed

I went to the ASG National Conference in Los Angeles over the weekend. I flew in on Thursday evening but even with the plane landing early I didn't get to the hotel/conference center until after they closed registration for the day. Fortunately they still allowed me to enter the exhibit hall because I was able to show them that I was a paid attendee. Started by scoping out all the vendors and then buying a purse kit and pattern from Purses by Design. I bought The New Yorker pattern and kit for view C. A couple of days later I bought all the pieces to also make view B. Friday I bought some fabric to make the purse and the following day I bought fibers from The Fiber Goddess to weave a handle using the Diva Cord Maker. I had bought the cord maker a few years ago at another ASG conference and hadn't done much with it. This should be fun. I am hoping to get the purse made before my son's wedding on the 10th of September.
I also bought some gorgeous turquoise linen, patterns from Cutting Corners and some embroidery designs from Momo-dini Embroidery.
On Friday I took a class on using Photo-Shop Elements to organize your patterns. When I got home I asked my hubby if we have this program (I know a little after the fact). Of course we don't but he said he thinks that iPhoto has something similar so that will be my next quest. Then it was a class with Louise Cutting, Cutting to the Chase of Great Garments. After lunch it was Drafting Pants with Couture Fit with Connie Crawford. So much information my head was swimming. Friday night was the fashion show. As usual so many wonderful garments. Some of them though I wondered if they were ever worn anywhere or were they just made for the fashion show.
Saturday was an all day class with Jennifer Stern Hasemann. We turned a pair of jeans into a skirt. This was not your typical jeans to skirt look though. I have included some photos of one of her many skirts and then my skirt in progress. I will be adding embroidery as soon as I can. That will be the wonderful designs I just bought from Momo-dini. I can't wait to finish it and wear it soon. The best part of all is that the jeans don't have to fit. She shows how to add side gussets to make a small pair get larger or how to take away fabric to make them smaller. My jeans fit so I was able to just cut apart the inseam and front and back crotch seams. That did make it a little harder though to sew.
That evening I went to Santa Monica with other members from the Chicago chapter to watch the sun set over the mountains and then have dinner at a restaurant on the beach. We had a wonderful time. Then it was up early Sunday morning to pack and come home. I only stayed for two of the three days because with the upcoming wedding I didn't want to be away too long.
I am looking froward to going to Houston next year for the conference. I always learn so much.




No comments:

Post a Comment