Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Christmas Decorating 2012 #1


     Time to start decorating for the holidays.  I usually start the day after Thanksgiving and spend the whole weekend getting it done.  This year I am a little behind schedule as we were meeting with our banker on Friday.

    To keep things from looking overdone I always remove the everyday items and pack them away.  Here is my living room mantel.  My living room has yellow walls with blue and yellow window treatments and a couch with a pink, yellow and blue floral print.  Red and green would be quite distracting in this sunny room so I have chosen to decorate with pink poinsettias and angels.

     The mantel scarf is actually four embroidered napkins I found on sale after Christmas one year.  The back edge is folded under and they are just laid on the mantel, slightly overlapping.  A small wreath with pink flowers and a bird hangs from a small nail.  I only have five angels on the mantel but with a couple of large poinsettias and a couple of small wreaths the whole mantel is filled in.



     On the hearth below I have arranged a lush garland around the base.  Another angel, this one much larger and a couple of silk poinsettia plants, one placed on a large book, and I have another focal area.



     Behind the couch I have a refinished cedar chest that belonged to my grandmother.  Here I display a paper mache  nativity set.  Every room in the house has a creche.  The coffee table, which is an old sled, has a small pink poinsettia floral arrangement on it.  Next to the cedar chest, on the floor I placed three Santas.  They aren't angels but they fit the color scheme and feel of the room.

 

   Right now there is no tree as we are waiting until a little closer to Christmas to get a real tree for the room.  The other rooms in the house have artificial trees.  The living room tree gets decorated with the ornaments we have collected over the years including ones we but when we go on vacations and ones the kids have made.

    In the next weeks I will post about some of the other rooms.  I hope these photos help show you how holiday decorating doesn't have to be all Santa Claus and red and green.

No comments:

Post a Comment