Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

November 2012

     Last weekend we had a couple of warm days so we were able to put our last garden plot to sleep.  I finished up turning one last bucket of coffee grounds into the soil.  The soil in this plot is so full of stones and not very healthy.  I am hoping that the coffee grounds this fall and some compost in the spring will help.
      My husband and I also laid wood chip paths between our garden plot and the ones to the north and south.  Previously it was just grass and weeds.  No one kept it mowed so it was hard to navigate the aisles and the roots and seeds threatened to overtake the garden.  I spent weeks digging out the grass and weeds.  Then we treated it with some Round-up.  Next we laid a weed barrier and covered it with a thick layer of wood chips.  I am hoping this will help to keep a cleaner garden plus also prevent the people to our south from planting in the aisle and thus making it even that much harder to navigate between the plots.
     Sunday I had a brick workout that involved a 50 minute bike ride.  It was very windy and when I was out on the road with the crosswinds I was so scared I was going to be blown over and into the path of a car.  I was so glad to get back home.
     This upcoming Sunday we are doing the Lincolnwood Turkey Trot as a family and then going to celebrate Thanksgiving at our house.
     I have full classes on Monday and Wednesday afternoons teaching sewing.  The girls are delightful. Julia is working on a layered skirt, Bella is making pajama pants, Meghan is working on a tank top and Katie is working on a tote.
     On Wednesday, Cara has just earned her sewing machine driver's license and is starting her first project.  Izzy just finished helping to sew her mom's Halloween costume and is now making shorts for her youngest brother.  Ellen and Greta are starting new projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment