Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Thanksgiving 2012




     Here we are after finishing the Lincolnwood Turkey Trot this past Sunday.  My husband and Kate and I did the 10K while our son, PJ did the 5K.  The goal this year was to finish in under an hour.  Last year was Kate's first 10K and she did it in just over an hour.  This year I was to pace both my hubby and Kate to a faster finish.
   
     Unfortunately Kate came down with a bad cold a couple of days earlier and was feeling it in her chest.  She opted to start with us but drop back if it got too much.  She hung with us for the first two miles and then had to slow down.  She still did it in 1:01:58 which I thought was great considering she wasn't feeling well.

     I kept pushing my hubby John to keep up the pace.  When I suggested doing negative splits he was not happy with me at all.  Even so I picked up our pace ever so slightly for the last two miles.  He was right with me until the end when it was time to sprint for the finish.  He had nothing left he said so I sprinted ahead.  I finished in 58:11 and he finished in 58:13.  It turns out to be a PR for me and certainly for him as it was his first finish in under an hour.

     We have done this race for several years and I like the flat course.  This year I was upset because there was no water at the end.  How could you have a race and not give water out at the finish?  Fortunately I carried a water bottle with me and we all shared it at the finish.  They had pizza for us at the end but water is much more important.

     Then it was off to IHop for breakfast.  This has become somewhat of a tradition with us also.  It is one of the few times we go out for breakfast.  Then back to the house to shower and get ready for our 'Thanksgiving' dinner.

     Our daughter who also usually runs is on bedrest with her first baby expected in January.  She and her hubby, Bob came to the house around noon as well as my mom.  We turned on the Packers game and started the final preparations for dinner.  I had spent most of Saturday getting the big parts done and cleaning the house.

     The company arrived a little after 3.  Bob's parents came and John's sister, her two children and her son's girlfriend.  His other sister didn't come cuz her hubby was sick.  Dinner went well except for the roasts not being done (quick trip under the broiler after slicing solved that problem) and the wine on the ceiling.  You will have to ask PJ how he did that one.

     We started dinner with a colby corn chowder.  The meal included icebox rolls with thankful messages tucked inside, ginger glazed carrots, green bean bundles, two tone potatoes, double cranberry applesauce and beef roasts.  Desserts were pumpkin cheesecake cobbler and buttermilk chocolate cake. Everyone enjoyed the meal.

     Now this weekend coming up we really start our final push of training for the T-rex duathlon in San Antonio on the 9th of December.  We have brick workouts on both Saturday and Sunday.  Should be a crazy busy weekend with also trying to decorate for Christmas.

     Now off to work to finish up a panel and board mounted valance that is needed by Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment