Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Cowboy Quilt




Cowboy quilt



     I just finished this fun quilt.  I had bought a kit when we vacationed in Sisters, Oregon several years ago.  I cut it out at home and then took it to retreat to work on it.  I then decided to finish it rather than bringing it to retreat again.

Book used for the quilt

Photo of book sample



     This is the book cover and the show quilt from the the book.  I would never have chosen this quilt based on those photos.  Definitely not my colors.

Kit label

Quilt fabrics


     This is the label from the kit and a sampling of the fabrics.  Much more fun than the florals that were used in the book.

Front detail

Thangles


     To make the half square triangles I used Thangles.  The advantage was that I had to cut 4-1/2" strips instead of cutting 4-7/8" squares.  The bias sewing is done with the paper in place so no stretching of the fabric.

Quilt label

Quilt info label


     I digitized a couple of labels for the back.  The cowboy boot design is from Embroidery Library.  I label all my quilts now so when I am long gone my great grandchildren will know who made it:-)

Pieced back

Detail of fun quilting


     For the back I just used the leftover fabric from the kit and a couple of pieces from my stash of scraps, much cheaper than buying backing.  My friend Joni did the wonderful cowboy themed quilting.

     This quilt is supposedly for me but I have a feeling that my grandson will be using it more than me.

No comments:

Post a Comment