Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Three Rs Camp ReMake ReModel ReUse

 

Rebecca and her dress shirt skirt



     For the recycling sewing camp I had planned four projects for the girls to do.  The first was a skirt made from a man's dress shirt, next a tie made into a necklace, a t-shirt turned into a tote and lastly a bracelet from T-shirt material.

Lauren and her dress shirt skirt


     Well the girls were much quicker than I anticipated.  By the end of the first day they were nearly finished with the skirt that I had thought would take two days.  I guess all the problems I had when making it were solved when I was teaching them.  I changed a few things from making the skirt which I found on Pinterest.  That sped things up for them.

     Monday during class we came up with another project, turning a sweater into a pillow.  More shopping for the girls.


T-shirt tote bags


     Tuesday the girls finished their skirts, then they made their T-shirts into totes, and by the end of class they had also made their ties into necklaces.

Lauren and her tie necklace

Rebecca and her tie necklace




     Wednesday we started with the bracelets and then moved on to doing some embroidery on one of their projects.  Lauren chose to monogram her T-shirt tote because it was just a plain white shirt while Rebecca chose to embroider a butterfly on her skirt.

Embroidery, applique for Lauren's monogram and a butterfly for Rebecca' skirt


T-shirt bracelets

     
     By the end of Wednesday they had finished their bracelets and all the other projects I had originally planned.  I knew that the sweater pillows would probably not take very long so it was back to Pinterest to find another project.  I found a cute heart shaped pouch that I decided they would make from old jeans.  I had plenty of those and lots of zippers that a friend had given me so we were set for the last day of camp.

Sweater pillows



     Sure enough Lauren and Rebecca quickly finished their sweater pillows.  We then printed out the pattern for the pouches and by the end of the morning those were finished also.  Rebecca needed just a bit of help to get hers done on time.  The girls used the leftover fabric from the belt part of their skirt to line the pouches so another recycle project done.


Heart pouches

     Whew, six sewing projects in four days along with embroidery.  What a fun camp.  Next week is another beginning sewing camp.  It is now full, had two registrations in the past couple of weeks.  So happy to share my love of sewing with others.


No comments:

Post a Comment