Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Fall Pillow

Pillow for fall

     I am making a series of covers to go on a chair in my family room.  Last week I showed you the Halloween one, this week is the fall one.  I bought this exquisite design from Embroidery Library.  It has over 86,000 stitches and uses 11 unique colors.  It took a couple of hours to stitch it out and used a couple of bobbins also.

Getting ready to make an on-point pillow

     I bought some rust colored wool melton at JoAnn Fabrics.  The black fabric I had in my stash.  It is a crinkle linen blend so I needed to add some fusible fleece to give it enough body to support all those stitches.
Cutting the front to shape

     I chose the exact colors to go with the wool and also the fringe I bought at JoAnn's following the guidelines from Embroidery Library.  I thought an on-point placement of the embroidery would be more interesting.  The first set of rectangles I sewed on were too small, I didn't remember that the height of the rectangle should be half of the base.  I then cut my lining to the shape using my template from Rowley.  I pinned it to the back of the front piece and trimmed around.  I then serged the edges.

Detail of the fringe

     For the back, I cut my piece with the template and then my zipper strip.  I did not line the back or serge around the edges since the fabric had enough body and doesn't ravel.  I felt though on the front I wanted to cover the back of the stitching and the seams from the piecing.

Kaleidoscope of Leaves Square

     I added the fringe to the front piece and then sewed the back and front together.  After removing the chain stitch that kept the fringe together, I had to steam it to remove the flattened part.  A gorgeous addition to my family room.

No comments:

Post a Comment