Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Fluttering by Floral Quilt

Fabrics from Mill House Quilts

      On my trip up to quilt retreat in March, I stopped at Mill House Quilts.  I wasn't planning on buying any fabric but this large floral print practically jumped into my arms.

Pattern used

     I saw a quilt hanging at Mill House that used a large print and multiple coordinating prints cut into smaller squares.  I bought several other fabrics that would work with the large floral I fell in love with.

Paste up sheet

     I came home and found a pattern in my stash called 'Just Can't Cut It'  Didn't quite have the right amounts but I made it work by adding a different fabric for the border from my stash.  I wound up not using the bright orange fabric as I didn't need that seventh color.

Fussy cutting a cornerstone

     I did use the paste up sheet in the pattern to keep things straight.  I had some of the large floral left after cutting my blocks (but not enough for the border) so I fussy cut some cornerstones for the border.  I used my square ruler to preview the size square I wanted and then cut them out.

Border and quilting detail

Block detail

     The cutting and piecing went pretty quickly once I had planned everything out.  I then went shopping for a backing.  I have been using flannel from JoAnn Fabrics that I prewash in hot water.  It shrinks it up and makes it so soft.  I usually choose a solid for my backs but this time a pretty floral was just the right touch.

Pretty floral backing

    After taking it all to the quilter, I made my labels and then added them and the border once I got the quilt back.

Label 1

Label 2

     I think this may be the fastest I have gone from buying the fabric to finishing the quilt unless it was a gift.  I really like how it all turned out.  My husband did ask what or who this quilt was for.  Silly man, it is just because.  :-)

Finished quilt

No comments:

Post a Comment