Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Halloween 2019 Sewing

Mask patterns on Skirtex

     This Halloween my two oldest grandchildren wanted to be characters from Paw Patrol.  My grandson wanted to be Mighty Chase and My granddaughter wanted to be Mighty Everest.






   My daughter sent me a couple of photos and then went to JoAnn Fabrics to buy the flannel for their costumes.




          She also bought some shiny fabric for their 'light-up' front paws and faux fur for the tails and ears.  I drafted the patterns using my Kwik Sew book.






           My granddaughter's costume was pretty straight forward with just color blocked pants and hooded top with contrasting sleeves and hood.  I sewed the tail into the center back seam, not adding too much stuffing so she would be comfortable wearing it in school.  The ears I sewed into the hood by cutting slits in the hood and tucking them in.


Mighty Chase top


    My grandson's costume was a bit more complicated as it needed zigzag contrast.  I opted to make the whole thing out of the navy flannel ( had to go to the store to get more) and then applique the yellow on top after turning under the edges.








Mighty Chase pants






     For the paws, I found an old costume pattern in my stash that had mittens and I made those with elastic in the wrist. I didn't even finish off the bottom edge since it was a knit fabric and wouldn't ravel.

Working on Mighty Chase mask



       For the masks I used Skirtex, the material that is used to stiffen the flaps on upholstered furniture.  I measured their faces and heads to get sizes for the mask and the elastic.  I drew the pattern onto pattern paper and then cut out the flannel.  I used spray adhesive to bind it to the Skirtex and then cut it out.  I then applied a back layer of flannel and stitched all around to keep it all in place, stitching on the elastic at the same time.  My grandson's had a yellow piece appliquéd on top while I used the shiny fabric for my granddaughter's mask and then drew on the eyebrows and eyelashes.




Bucket pinned under the hoop
     Then I needed to make a Halloween bucket for the youngest grandchild as I didn't make one for him last year.  I used a split Halloween design from Designs by JuJu.  I had many problems with it, (the actual stitching, not the design, it was perfect) including it coming unhooped when I got a thread nest underneath.  Got it finally finished and looking okay, not great but okay.  As I was texting my daughter-in-law that it was ready, I realized I had misspelled his name.  How does a grandma do that?  Oh well it was too late to make another.  I might make a new one for him next year or maybe I will try embroidering his name on a patch and sew it over the wrong spelling.

Stitching with it pinned under the hoop

     All that matters though is the grandkids were all happy and they had a great time trick or treating with their cousins.


Mighty Chase and Mighty Everest in action


No comments:

Post a Comment