Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Angel Pillow: Christmas 2019 Gift

Angel pillow

     For my oldest sone and his wife I made this angel pillow.  I used some deep green wool and a plaid wool from my stash.

Detail of embroidery

     I used this simple angel design from Designs bu JuJu.  I used a metallic thread to make it sparkle.  Because the design was so simple I decided I needed to do something special with the pillow.

Circle drawn on the pillow front

Plaid frame fabric pinned and ready to sew

     This was a technique I learned in a webinar on purse making.  I determined a 10 inch circle would be a good frame for the embroidery.  I drew it on the solid fabric using my circle templates.  I then pinned the plaid fabric to the other side of the pillow fabric (the right sides together) and stitched around the circle using a shorter stitch length, 2.0 on my machine.

Circle sewn and centers cut out

Underside of front piece showing trimmed plaid fabric

     I then carefully cut out the centers, leaving about a 1/4 inch seam allowance, this is what is going to determinate size of your frame.  I then pulled the plaid fabric to the inside and pressed.  I stitched in the ditch from the right side and then trimmed the excess plaid fabric.

Pinning the angel piece in place

Detail of stitched opening

     I pinned the angel design behind the opening and then stitched close to the seam.  After that I trimmed the front to size and serged lining to the back.  I added a zipper to the back piece and made covered cord with the plaid fabric that I had cut on the bias.  Put it all together for another holiday pillow.
Bias plaid covered cord

No comments:

Post a Comment