Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Truck Pillow: Christmas 2019 Gift



Finished retro truck pillow

     This year for Christmas, I made Christmas throw pillows for each of my children.  For my daughter and her husband I chose this retro truck design from Embroidery Library.

Finished front showing the serged edges

     I chose a lightweight tone on tone cotton fabric for the embroidery design.  I did fuse a stabler to the back to provide it with more body.  I hooped the fabric and floated a piece of tearaway stabilizer underneath.  Even with all that I had some puckering and outlines off because of the very high stitch count.  If I would do this design again I would use a heavier fabric.

Trimming the covered cord

     For the pillow, I had some plaid wool in my stash.  When cutting the frame for the stitched piece, I made sure to line up the plaid.  That probably took longer than the rest of the pillow construction.  After piecing the front I trimmed the corners to prevent dog-ears and then serged a piece of lining to the back.  For the cord, I used deep green wool from my stash.  A zipper in the back was the last step and then I sewed front to back.

Corner detail showing the cord and matched plaid

     I was quite pleased with how it turned out, even though the embroidery wasn't perfect.  The matching of the plaid is that custom touch that you won't find in most off-the-shelf pillows.

Detail photo of the embroidery design

No comments:

Post a Comment