Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Bench Cushion

Cushion for metal bench

     I had a client that wanted a cushion for a metal bench in her front hall.  She didn't want anything too 'cushiony' because it was more for show than sitting.

Pattern from the client

     She traced out the seat for me, using wrapping paper.  I had 1 inch soft foam, almost more of a thick batting, that she thought would be perfect.  I made the cushion according to her pattern with just one row of covered cord and no boxing strip.  I added a zipper in the back for easy removal if needed.

Cushion with only one layer of foam

     After putting in the one layer of foam, I felt it didn't fill it out nicely, most likely due to the softness of the insert.  I sent her a photo and suggested to her that we add another layer of the same foam to fill it out better.  It really helped to smooth the puckers and I feel it also looks less like a flat pancake.

Before and after

     She was quite happy with the change.  She now has a neutral cushion on her bench and she will add seasonal pillows to change up the look.

Detail of the fabric and the covered cord

No comments:

Post a Comment