Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Recovering Chairs for SMF Sewing Studio

Finished chair for SMF Sewing Studio
     I own and operate two businesses.  One is my Creations by Celeste where I do custom home decor for clients.  The other is Sew Much Fun which is primarily teaching sewing plus an occasional sewing project.

Old, cracked vinyl seat

     Over the years I have slowly upgraded my SMF Sewing Studio.  This year it was time to tackle the folding chairs.  After years of use, the seat cushion fabric was brittle and breaking apart.  Not too bad in the winter but in the summer it was quite uncomfortable for the girls in their shorts.

Fabric from JoAnn's

     I found some fabric on clearance at JoAnn's that was a good match for the floor.  I first tackled the seats.  I unscrewed the bottom from the frame and pulled out all the old staples and got rid of the old vinyl fabric.

Seat off and cleaned up

     I cleaned the frames and then got to stapling the fabric to the seat part.  The foam itself was still okay so I didn't bother to replace it.

Fabric stapled to seat 

     I made sure to have plenty of fabric to wrap under while avoiding the screw holes.  Loved using my Kai scissors for this job, they cut through the fabric, even multiple layers without any problems.

New seat in place

     So much better even with just the seat covered.  I then wanted to add a little something to the back.  I had my Sew Much Fun logo digitized and then stitched it out using the colors from the studio.

Stitching out the logo

Stitched logo

    I then removed the backs from the frame, they were a bit more difficult because of the type of 'screw' they used.  I followed the same process of removing the old fabric and replacing it with the new embroidered fabric.

Back all stapled

     This also was slightly harder as the back piece was curved and then had the curves top and bottom.  I put it all back together and now the SMF Sewing Studio has 'new' comfy chairs for class.

Finished comfy chair

No comments:

Post a Comment