Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Sammy's Christening Wall Hanging

Finished wallhanging

     This post is a little late coming out but I forgot to take a photo of the finished product.  I finally got around to asking my daughter-in-law to take a few photos for me.

Templates taped in place

     This is the fourth one I have made and fortunately I did find the notes I took while making the others.  I printed out templates of his name and date of his Christening.  I had saved the templates from the other parts from the previous wall hangings.

Backing and batting ready

     I cut the center piece slightly larger than my desired finished size in case there was any uptake of the fabric while embroidering.  I taped the templates in place with painter's tape.  I then hooped sticky paper and just laid the piece on top.  After embroidering, I cut it to size and added the three borders.

Front piece smoothed in place

     I cut my backing and batting also larger than needed.  I smoothed the backing fabric onto my cutting table and then smother the batting on top.  I then laid on the finished front piece and pinned all around.

Pinned and ready to cut

     I placed my pins parallel to the cutting edge, this made it easy to trim around.  After trimming the backing and batting I added my binding.  I stitched it to the back and then brought it around to the front where I topstitched it in place.  When I do bed quilts, I sew the binding to the front and hand stitch it in place form the back.

Cutting to size

     I then did a little quilting around the shell design and around the edge of the center piece.  Because this is a wall hanging and probably will never be washed, this is enough to keep everything together.

Embroidery details

     The shell design is from Embroidery Library as is the God Bless You design.  The lettering is from my MasterWorks program that I use.  I hope you enjoyed seeing another version of a Christening wall hanging.  Here are two others Maggie's and Colton's

No comments:

Post a Comment