Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Basketball T-shirt Quilt

Basketball t-shirt quilt

     A client wanted a t-shirt quilt made for her husband for a special birthday.  She had his old basketball shirts but not quite enough for a 4 x 5 quilt.

Planned layout

Monogram idea

     She sent me a photo with the planned layout and also one with a monogram she wanted for the center.  To place the monogram in the center, we decided to do half squares on either side of a full square in the middle.

Pile of t-shirts

Ready for the interfacing

     Since this is the time of Covid19, all of this was done by phone or email.  She dropped off the bag of t-shirts on my front porch.  Then I set about cutting the fronts off and then ironing on the stabilizer to the backs of them.  I kept the backs at this point so I would have something to use for the middle.

Center idea

     After putting together the front as much as possible, I sent her a photo with my thought for the center part.  I then put that together and worked on the monogram in my computer.  Since it was going to be quite large and on lightweight t-shirt fabric, I opted for applique only styles to reduce the thread count.

Monogram options

     I sent her the three choices and she chose the top one.  As she was using black fleece for the backing, I chose the black t-shirt for the applique fabric.  I did the applique and then finished putting the quilt together.  A slightly different take on the standard t-shirt quilt.

Monogram detail
     Pick up was again no contact on my front porch.  Really happy to have a large covered front porch at this time especially.  I hope her husband liked the blanket.

No comments:

Post a Comment