Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Zebra Pinwheels Quilt

Covering a couch that doesn't match

     Another quilt from my basement.  This one is a twin sized pinwheel quilt from Sew Simple Quilts Book two by Jane Davila.  I needed 94 pinwheels.   I made 10 each from nine different black and white prints, and then four pinwheels from a red solid.

Borders and blocks

    I placed the four red ones near the corners.  The borders were a zebra print, from the backing of my attic window quilt and then the black from the sashing of that same quilt.  The red was also from that quilt.

Quilting detail

     I used 2 1/2" Thangles to make all my HST (half square triangles).  They are so much easier to use than cutting odd size squares in half and then sewing together.  This way you just cut 3" strips of your fabric.  In this case I cut 2 strips of each of the colors, except the red.  Then I cut a bunch of white strips.  You then layer it dark fabric, light fabric and paper.  Sew on the lines, cut on the lines, press and tear off the paper.  Perfect HSTs every time.

Label with fun sewing machine border

     I had it custom quilted with a medallion design in each of the solid squares and outline quilted in the pinwheel blocks with some more free form quilting in the borders.  Unfortunately I didn't document the quilter.

Zebra Pinwheels Quilt

     The fabric I had left from the backing was used to make masks as well as a couple of the other fabrics that I used in the pinwheels.  A time consuming quilt but so fun to look at.

No comments:

Post a Comment