Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Hydrangeas and Raspberry Quilt

Finished quilt

     This is a quilt I finished in 2006.  I took a class at Shoo Fly Quilts in Grayslake with my friend Kris.  It was a Stack & Whack class using the book by Bethany Reynolds.  I had bought the fabric a couple of years before taking the class just waiting for it to be offered.

Block detail

     I bought the background fabric at that time also.  I then purchased the accent fabric, flange fabric and flannel backing fabric at Shoo Fly when it was time to take the class.

Border and quilting detail

     The class was fun as usual but it took me a while, close to a couple of years, to finally finish it afterwards.  I think the raspberry colored fabric was a bold choice to use with the lavender background fabric but I like how it turned out.  I pulled the deep green from the print for the flat flange.

Flat flange detail

     I had enough of the print fabric to use it for the border which I cut at 9 inches to showcase the large print.  I was even able to pattern match it for the top and bottom borders.  The side borders were cut from the length of the fabric.

Pattern matched border

     After spending that much effort, I chose to do a really custom quilting job.  I had Paula do freehand echo swirls in the background of the flower bunches in the border, quilt around one motif in the star and then echo swirls in the background of the blocks with outline stitching in the blocks and borders.

Label 1

     I added my labels I made on my embroidery machine and then put on the binding which was the same fabric as the background from the star blocks.

Label 2

     All in all a complicated but beautiful quilt.  I hope you enjoyed this look at some of my older work.

No comments:

Post a Comment