Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 12, 2021

Iris Pillow

 

Finished pillow

     Many years ago I did this needlepoint piece.  I didn't know what I was going to do with it, so it has sat around just waiting for me.  When choosing pillow sample ideas for display, I remembered several beautiful framed needlework pillows that Susan Woodcock had done.  I pulled out the needlepoint piece and set about blocking it to square it up.

Blocking the needlepoint


     I had the board and pins because I used to do a lot more needlepoint.  I blocked it the best I could.  I probably should have spent a little more time getting it square but I was in a hurry to make the pillow.  In searching through my fabrics, I came across the fabric from the bridesmaids dresses that I had done for my daughter's wedding over 10 years ago.  The purple colored velvet and satin were perfect for the iris needlepoint.

Corner detail

     I stitched the needlepoint piece to a piece of lining and then added the covered cord and frame.  I used the velvet to make covered cord to frame the picture and also for the edge of the pillow.  I mitered the corners for the frame of the picture.  It wasn't easy working with the satin and velvet but I got it all done.  The covered cord framing the irises helped to hide some of the irregular stitching.  

Pretty purple iris pillow

     I am sort of glad that I waited so long to finally do something with the needlepoint because  I have honed my pillow making skills so i think the pillow turned out pretty great.


No comments:

Post a Comment