Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 30, 2021

Custom Fitted Sheets

 

Custom fitted sheet

     I had a neighbor reach out to me to see if I could help her with an annoyance she had.  She and her husband had bought a camper van.  The bed was a 'shelf' in the back.  It had a memory foam topper that was cut to fit into the corners as the van had doors that opened in the rear.

     The queen sized sheets and mattress pad were rectangular and would get all bunched up in the corners and then pop off.  She wanted to know if I could some how make them fit better.

Left corner template

Right corner template

     I decided the best option would be is to make the sheets and mattress pad fit more like a cushion.  I measured the foam width and length and then made patterns/templates of the two cut out corners.  I then took out the stitching in the corners of the sheets and made them as flat as possible.  I did have to tack the elastic on either side of that seam so it wouldn't all spring into the casing when I cut it.  I then cut out the center of the sheet 1 inch larger than my measurements, allowing a 1/2 inch seam allowance all around.  

     I used the templates I made of the corners and cut the corners of the sheet.  After seaming the four pieces with the elastic back together I made sure they were all the same depth.  I then started sewing them back on, pivoting at the corners and clipping as needed.  I made sure to serge all the seams also to prevent fraying.  The piece I put back on was a little bigger then the cut top, I just pleated it to fit.  

Finished left corner


     As there was also some batting glued to the cut edges, the fitted corners weren't real crisp but when we put it back into the van it was great.  She was thrilled that I was able to help her overcome the problem of the sheets sliding off.

No comments:

Post a Comment