Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 3, 2021

Halloween Costumes 2021

 

Darth Vader and Rapunzel at school

     This year I started the costume dialog a little earlier than usual so I would have plenty of time to make them.  When I was watching the kids one day just before school started, we went through the costumes I have in the house plus the box of costume accessories.  Cltn saw the Darth Vader helmet, mask and light saber and decided that was what he wanted to be.  Miss M didn't see anything in the costumes she wanted, she wanted to be Rapunzel from Tangled.  

Pattern used

     We went to JoAnn Fabrics and found the pattern she wanted but they didn't have it in stock at that time.  I waited for the next pattern sale and found it then.  She then had her mom print out some pictures of costumes and we went shopping for the fabric.  She chose pink satin with a purply lamé for the front part. We then found ribbon and sequin trim for the rest of the dress.  I had to sew on that sequin trim by hand.

Dress

     For Cltn, all I had to do was make a cape as he could just wear black top and pants.  For his cape I used the same pattern, just didn't line it or make the hood.  Instead for the top of the cape, I measured what the hood measurement was and cut a band of fabric about 4 inches wide by that length plus seam allowances.   I pressed up one long edge 1/2" and then folded the band in half and sewed the two short edges together.   I gathered the cape to fit and sewed on the band to the outside of the cape and then pressed the seam up into the band and hand stitched the band from the inside.  Then I added black hook and loop tape to the band for him to close it. 

Cape

         Of course since they would be wearing the costumes to school, they needed matching masks.  I made Miss M's from the satin for the outside and the cotton lining for the inside.  Cltn's was just the same black fabric as the cape.

Matching masks

     They both liked their costumes and had fun wearing them to school on Friday and then going trick or treating on Halloween.  

Cltn, Darth Vader

With a 'crown' from bracelets


No comments:

Post a Comment