Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 27, 2022

Cornice Class

 


     Several months ago, I signed up to take a cornice class on-line through Workroom Tech.  The cost of the class included a box of supplies including, cornice padding, lining fabric, gimp, welt cord, tack strip, pattern paper and graph paper.  It was a three week/session class.  Unfortunately my timing didn't work so well.  The first class was the day before I left to go to Mexico, the second class was on the day I flew home and the third class a week later.  The problem was I didn't get a chance to do my homework.  But fortunately I was able to watch the YouTube videos later and finally get my work done.

Basic Cornice Board

     The first cornice was a basic cornice board with a straight bottom and pre-lined pieces.  I used fabric from my stash and actually railroaded the piece I had.  I thought the paisley looked cool this way.  I did have my husband cut the boards.  I lined the pieces and then he put them together.  I then followed the instructions to construct the cornice.  My corners came out pretty good after some practice but I do have a bit of dimpling in the fabric.  I need to work on pulling it correctly.

Pattern

   Next up was the shaped cornice.  The first thing was to draw a pattern.  I used the graph paper to get my initial design and then transferred it to my pattern paper.  I used my circle 'rulers' to get a nice smooth arch.  Then my husband cut the pieces and assembled the box.  Next I put on the padding and had to cover the box.  I really need to work on making the proper relief cuts needed to go around the curves.  I made some mistakes with the cutting but I think I was able to cover everything okay, at least for a sample.

Shaped Cornice Board

     For the covered cord on this one, I used the reverse side of the fabric.  I did do a good job on pattern matching the front and dust cap of the cornice.  This one was definitely more labor intense and a lot more frustrating.  Not sure if I will add this to my offerings of Creations by Celeste.

Top of cornice board

Bottom curve of cornice board

     I would definitely recommend these video classes from Workroom Tech but I do like the in person classes better.  I need that one on one help sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment