Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 7, 2022

Another T-shirt Quilt

 

T-shirt quilt

     A neighbor wanted a t-shirt quilt for her son.  She let him choose the shirts.  She brought me a bag with twelve t-shirts.  Normally I would have made a 3 x 4 quilt from that number of t-shirts.   However two of the t-shirts had extra long designs and I didn't want to cut them if I didn't have to.  Several of the t-shirts also had good front and back designs so I opted to go with a 4 x 5 layout of t-shirts.

Final layout

      I first cut apart the t-shirts and played around with a layout.  Then I interfaced the backs of the t-shirt pieces with fusible interfacing and then cut out the squares with my 13" square ruler, except for the two long ones.  I then sewed the columns and then put them together.

Pinning to the backing

     I then laid the fleece out and placed the right side of the quilt top down and pinned all around.  I then trimmed the fleece and sewed around the edges with a 1/2" seam allowance, leaving an opening to turn. 

 

Pinning for stitching lines

      I turned it right side out and stitched close to the edge, closing the opening in the process.  Then, using straight pins, I pinned the intersections, making sure everything was nice and smooth.

Stitch in the ditch

     I then stitched in the ditch at all the intersections,  I did about 1 1/2" in all directions.  From the back it looks like small crosses.  This prevents the layers from shifting around too much.


No comments:

Post a Comment