Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 8, 2023

Auction 2022 T-shirt Quilt

 

Finished quilt

     My daughter teaches at St Mary school in Buffalo Grove.  Her two kids go there and our three children all attended school there.  I have a big heart for the school even though we no longer go to church there.  Every year they have a big fund raiser and I have been donating a t-shirt quilt the past few years.

Adding the back

     The quilt includes the labor and materials for 20 t-shirts.  This year the winner brought the t-shirts to me shortly after I had my knee surgery.  I was able to piece the top but it took me until about 3 months post-op that I could get down on the floor (still painful but I can do it for a short time).  They way I do the back is to place the fleece backing down on the floor and then pin the front in place and trim all around.  Then I sew it up, leaving an opening to turn.  I then stitch all around the outer edge to close up the opening and stabilize the edge.

Stitch in the ditch, can't even see the navy thread

     The last step is to stitch in the ditch at all the intersections with thread that matches the back.  If you do it well, you can't even see the thread from the front.

Stitch in the ditch from the back

     I hope he enjoys his quilt/blanket.  It is fun to see what kinds of t-shirts people bring to me when they win one of these auctions.


No comments:

Post a Comment