Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 1, 2023

Cubs T-shirt Quilt

 

Finished quilt

     My sister and brother-in-law wanted a lap quilt made for his mom from his dad's t-shirts.  They only gave me 11 shirts but the back of one of the sweatshirts had a great design also.  There is even a polo shirt in the mix.

Ready for the backing

     They asked if at all possible to have Cubs fleece on the back.  I found some at JoAnn's Fabrics and got a good deal on it.

Backing ready for the front

     I stabilized all the backs of the shirts with fusible interfacing and then cut out the squares using my 13"square rule and a rotating cutting mat.  I then sewed them in rows (using 1/2" seam allowances), pressed the seams open and then sewed the rows together.  

Stitch in the ditch on the front

     Then placed the finished front onto the backing piece, right sides together.  Pinned around the edges and then cut the backing to size.  Sewed them together, leaving an opening to turn right side out.  Then I stitched close to the edge, closing up the opening and providing a stable edge.

Stitch in the ditch on the back

     I then stitched in the ditch in the corners of the squares to keep the front and back pieces together.  If you stitch carefully, you don't even see the stitches on the front, just a small cross on the back.  I hope his mom likes it.




No comments:

Post a Comment