Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 28, 2024

Quilt for Kate

 

Finished Quilt

     This past summer our daughter-in-law turned 40.  For her 30th birthday my son had sent out puzzle pieces for people to write on.  This year he decided to have me make a quilt for her.  He sent out fabric squares to family and friends.  He even included a postage paid envelope for them to return the square.

Our block

Her parent's block

     He wound up getting 32 blocks back, including his and those of their two little guys.  I found some fabric in my stash that worked well for the sashing.  He came by and we arranged the squares, opting to put in blank corner ones to keep it 6 x 6.  

Cross-stitch block

Appliqué block with sequins

     It was fun to see all the different techniques people used to decorate their square.  There was machine embroidery, photo transfers, cross-stitch, fabric pens and iron-on appliqués.  I sent my son photos of sashing and border sizes.  After putting it together, I then found some backing fabric in my stash.  He bought the binding fabric that worked out well for both the front and back fabrics.  

Quilting detail

     Took it to a quilter who did an amazing job working with all those different elements.  Then I did the labels and binding and had it done in time for her birthday.  Big thanks to my son for starting the project early so I had time to do my thing.

Label 1


Label 2


     I'm glad I was able to be part of this special gift.


Backing

No comments:

Post a Comment