Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 20, 2024

Front Porch Table Topper

 

Finished table topper

     I knew I wanted something for the table on the front porch.  At first I was thinking about a tablecloth.  Then I saw a pattern when I was at a quilt show at CLC.  I figured a table topper would be more practical so I bought the pattern.

Pattern used

     Next I needed to decide what fabrics to use.  Since I had fabric left from the cushions I had made I chose to use up what I had rather than getting something else.  Normally I would not use outdoor fabric for a table topper but this seemed like a good choice.

Inside


     I followed the directions for cutting and the first steps for the piecing.  It became very confusing to put on the final four points.  They were supposed to be finished first and then sewn on.  It didn't make any sense to me so I chose to just piece the whole front, apply the fusible fleece and then sew on the backing as one piece, leaving one triangle open for turning.

Trimming close

     I trimmed the fleece really close and also trimmed the points, clipped the inside angles and trimmed the seam allowance.  I then turned it right side out and stitched close to the edge all around after I pressed it.  Outdoor fabric doesn't always like to be pressed, so I had to be careful.  I then stitched about a quarter inch from the inside edge of the accent piece to stabilize it a bit more.

Back of table topper

     I like how neat it looks from the back also, it could be reversible if I wanted just a solid table topper.  It would be fun to try this with some cotton fabrics next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment