Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Jacket Challenge #7


Our challenge for the month of January was to recycle a sweater. This is one I had but as you can see it is way too baggy. I loved the color and feel of the Coldwater Creek sweater so I hadn't been able to part with it. I took the sweater apart at the side seams and removed the sleeves. I left the collar and shoulders intact and used the Capri Jacket pattern to reshape the body. I cut 1/2" strips of Aqua Mesh Plus and applied them to the cut edges to prevent them from unraveling or stretching out of shape. I sewed the seams with a straight stitch and then overcast the edges on the sewing machine.

Found a piece of sand washed rayon in my stash that I layered with interlining and a cotton batik from my stash. Quilted it together using a decorative stitch on my sewing machine.

Cut my sleeves from this as the sweater sleeves were not long enough. Finished the raw edges with binding from the rayon.

No need for buttons or buttonholes as I used the fronts as they were. Just washed it then to remove the stabilizer. Since there was still sweatering left I made a purse using Linda McGehee's book, The Perfect Bag. I fused a knit interfacing to the sweatering and then a fusible fleece. Used Clover's Create-A-Strap and the rayon for the bag strap. The cotton batik was used for the lining. Found some yarn in my stash that I braided to create a loop for the button closure. Now I have a well fitted jacket and matching purse.

No comments:

Post a Comment