Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Jacket Challenge #8


Well here is one more jacket. This one started out as a tablerunner. Many years ago at a retreat I did a class that was a mystery quilt/tablerunner. I had done all the piecing, pieced fabric together for the back and layered it with quilt batting. Everything was pinned down and ready to go. Then it sat just waiting for me. Our challenge for the past month was to do an UFO (unfinished object for those who aren't into the sewing lingo). I unearthed this tablerunner and was ready to quilt it and put on some binding. When I looked at it I decided there was no room in my home that this would fit into. What else could I do with it? I picked up the jacket pattern pieces and low and behold they fit!.

Went into the stash and found some yarn made from recycled silk from Tibet and couched it down. Then a few more lines of quilting and I was ready to cut. Only the front and back would be able to be cut from this piece.


Next decision was what to do for the sleeves? There was enough pieced fabric from the backing that I could cut out the sleeves but I needed a lining. Into the stash where I found a great stripe. Layered it with some interlining, a few straight quilting lines and some more couched yarn and I was ready to cut the sleeves. A few seams and the jacket was ready for binding. The stripe cut on the bias was perfect.

A few buttons from the stash and done! The colors make me smile and it feels so spring like. Much better on the body than on a table :-) Not sure I will make any more jackets, my closet is overflowing it seems like. Enjoy the weather and smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment