Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Spring Break


Even though it is only the last week of March my daffodils are already fading. Here in the Chicago area we have had some really warm weather, think 70 to 80 for a couple of weeks. This caused all the flowers and plants to come up early. Even my cherry trees have bloomed and are losing their petals already. I fear a late snow will come and kill the cherry crop. Oh well, you just need to enjoy nature as it comes.




This past weekend I spent working the Sewing and Craft Expo in Schaumburg. I was helping my friend Pattie Otto in her Great Copy booth. I still had time to wander around and look at all there was to offer. I bought some quilt templates and books. Also a pretty batik strip set called Mango Salsa. Found some paper beads made in Uganda that I am going to use for purse handles and of course a new bracelet. There were so many other things I would have liked but I only had so much time and money;-)

The weekend before I was at a quilting retreat with my friends at Homestead Retreat. The weather up there was incredible also. We even ate lunch outside a couple of times. Usually we are more worried about snow than sunburn. I did piece a Turning Twenty quilt top for my niece's graduation and did most of the piecing on a quilt top for a wedding gift in June.

All this exposure to sewing has made it more difficult to concentrate on housework and such. I did manage to spend a couple of hours on Sunday cleaning up some of the flowerbeds around the house. Hopefully we will have some nice weather this coming weekend and I can get in some time at our garden plots. We decided to get a second plot this year because we needed more room for the pumpkins and zucchini to spread out. The one plot we had last year should be fairly easy to work as we cleaned it well in the fall and added a layer a grass clippings for mulch. The other plot I believe was not used last year and is quite overgrown with weeds. That one will be more of a challenge.

Looking forward to having the girls back from spring break next week. I should have a new student on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment