Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Summer Winding Down



     All the summer camps are over.  The fall schedule is filled out.  Now just getting ready for all the girls (and one boy) to come the week after Labor Day.  The studio needs a good cleaning after camps but we are having our bathroom remodeled which is right above.  They have been accessing the plumbing from my studio so things are a mess.  Hopefully they will be done before classes start.

     We had a busy weekend.  On Friday night we drove up to Grafton, WI to check into our hotel before an early morning race Saturday.  On the way we stopped to pick up our race packets at Concordia University.  We had a lot of traffic on the way up and were about 5-10 minutes late.  Fortunately one of the volunteers was just leaving and she got us our race packets.  That was so nice of her.

     We got all checked in to our hotel and realized that the bag with all my cosmetics and jewelry was left at home.  We quickly went across the street to Target.  The pharmacy was closing but they did fill my prescription so I didn't have to miss a dose.  Big kudos to the staff at the Target pharmacy that Friday night.

     We grabbed a quick dinner at Noodles & Co. and then some sleep.  Up early to head back to Concordia for the duathlon.  It was a 2.2 mile run, 22 mile bike followed by the same 2.2 mile run but in the opposite direction.  The run included a switchback down to the lake and then a long ramp back up.  There was also some running on grassy paths.  A bit of a challenge.

     As I was in transition, my hubby came in and got out onto the bike portion before I did.  At that point I knew he was going to beat me because he is a much faster biker than I am.  He did beat me by about 4 minutes but I took third in my age group.  I was happy to do it in under 2 hours.

     Then it was back to the hotel to shower and get ready for my cousin's daughter's wedding.  They had the ceremony in a park overlooking Lake Michigan.  It was gorgeous.  After the ceremony we had some time to kill so we walked around a little, got something to eat and then went to the hotel where the reception was being held.  My other cousin had gotten a room there so we went up to her room and visited until it was time for the reception.  So nice to have time to chat and catch up.

     At the reception I visited with my cousins and danced with my hubby.  We had a great time. Then home to get some sleep and up for Mass the next morning.

     After church we had a 50 mile bike ride to do but first we had to re-assemble the bikes which were in the car from the race.  When we finally got back we looked at the clock and saw we were late for our daughter-in-law's 30th birthday party.  We quickly called our son to let him know and then fast showers and out the door.

     We had a nice time there visiting with more family.  Our son had sent blank puzzle pieces out to friends and relatives.  We were to write on them and send them back.  When Kate opened up the box with the pieces and started reading them she was crying.  What a thoughtful way to show his wife how much he and everyone else loves her.

     Unfortunately all my photos are on my new phone and I don't know how to get them off yet.  Love the new technology but it is frustrating at times.

No comments:

Post a Comment