Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Circle Quilts

Book used for the quilts


     We had a challenge last month in our ASG neighborhood group to do something with circles.   I had two quilts that I had started as class samples that I never finished.  I decided now was the time to finish them.

Cherry wall hanging


     The first is a wallhanging (shown here sideways) made using a cherry batik fabric.  Besides the circles I also cut out strips.  This technique looks really difficult but it isn't that hard.  When the book calls for just eight pins to hold the circle in place they are right.

Detail of borders


     For the borders I used two different widths of the cherry fabric separated by a 1/4" strip of black fabric.  I used a technique I learned in a class several years ago that involves using a larger strip and sewing the 1/4" seam allowance from the previous seam allowance to get the even 1/4" piece.

Circle of cherries label


     And of course I always add a label.  This embroidery design is from Embroidery Library.  I do a much better job of getting labels on my quilts than I do with the journaling of them.

Baby quilt


     The second one I finished was a baby quilt with the traditional pink and blue but a little black and lime green for interest.  It is hard to see but those colors are in the background fabric.  This one I just used a series of circles.  Since I am not very good at the quilting part I just did stitch in the ditch quilting on both of them.

Detail of mixed fabric binding


     I didn't have enough of the more pastel fabrics left to do the binding in just one color so I decided to use the blue, pink and stripe in alternating strips.  It makes for a fun look.

Circles of fun baby quilt label


     For the label I used my software to digitize five circles and use different fills for them to mimic the placement of the fabric circles on the front.

     It was fun to finish a couple of projects.  Now I have to think about the window treatments for our bathroom.  They are getting closer to finishing the remodel and I need to do my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment