Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Sewing Disaster (Kind of)




     We had a challenge from our ASG (American Sewing Guild) neighborhood group to take a denim shirt and remake it.  I had provided the shirts, items I bought that I was going to embroider and sell.  We each paid $5 for a shirt with the money being used to buy fabric for our charity sewing projects.



     I saw this blouse remake on Pinterest.  The site is from Freshly Given.  I thought it was so neat looking and would make a fun summer top.




      Here is the denim shirt I started with.  I really liked the 'velvet' trim.




     The first thing I did was remove the sleeves.  Then I fitted the shirt at the side seams.  This was a bit of trial and error since I didn't have anyone to help pin it on me.  After a couple of tries I got the side seams fitting well.




    Next was the challenge of shaping the back and front cutouts.  I started by cutting away a bit at a time so I wouldn't go too deep in.  Finally I got what I thought was a pleasing shape front and back but then came the next challenge.



     The front was gaping too much at the arm hole.  With the pocket in place it was hard to do much more shaping.  I sewed a few tucks in and that helped the gape but I didn't like the look.  I waited a few days to see if I could come up with something better but nothing seemed to work.  By now I had cut off so much that there wasn't enough fabric left to make a blouse.  Plan B to the rescue.



     I pulled this pattern out from my stash.  I have made several of theses and really like them.  Of course I didn't have enough fusible fleece to make a full size one so I adjusted my measurements.



    I used the right and wrong sides of the fabric in the alternating strips and the 'velvet' from the cuff for the center strip.  A zipper and rickrack from my stash were all I needed to complete this cute bag.

     Certainly nothing like the blouse I had envisioned but perhaps another day and another blouse.

No comments:

Post a Comment