Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Kitchen Valances




     Met with a client that wanted to dress up the windows in her eating area.  She had lovely views of prairie behind her and didn't want to block the view.
     We came up with several options for valances and finally decided on a curved valance with a gathered one underneath.

From M'Fay book


Pretty good copy I think


     She then spent a couple of months finding just the right fabric for the top part and then it took some time for her to find a gingham check to go with it.

Tracing the design elements on pattern plastic


     After I drafted the pattern for the top part of the valance with pattern plastic I cut the first one.  I then traced different elements of the design on the plastic to cut the other two so they were all the same.  

Cutting the large valance


     For the large window I chose to use paper as it was easier to manipulate to get the curves I wanted.  I pieced the fabric, matching the print and then laid it out and cut my large valance top.  I used the patterns to cut skirtex to give the valance a nice firm hand.



     Sewed blackout lining to the back and then turned and slipped the skirtex inside.  Creased the corners and mounted to the board.  



     I sewed the bottom piece to a shirring loop tape, gathered it up and then stapled a hook strip to the underside of the board and just pressed it in place.  By having the bottom piece separate it made it a lot easier for the client's husband to mount the boards on the wall.   I also marked the gathered piece and hook strip at intervals to make it easier for her to keep the gathers nicely spaced.







     They really add a nice touch to the room and the client was thrilled with how they turned out.  

No comments:

Post a Comment