Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Indian Princess Flag


Orange with brown to match their vests


     I have been making vests for local Indian Princess group.  Recently they changed their group name and needed a new flag.  I was asked to incorporate the butterfly they were already using on their vests and some indian design.  I went to my favorite site, Embroidery Library to look for designs.

Letters

Butterfly design

Teepee design


     This is what I found, an appliqué alphabet, an appliqué butterfly and a quilting design teepee.  I wanted to keep the stitch count down because I was going to be working on rip-stop nylon.  After buying the designs, I printed out templates of the letters, butterfly and teepee to play with placement on the flag.

Templates


     I cut them out and then started laying them out on the fabric.  I did not cut the fabric, just traced the size of flag they requested.  That gave me more fabric at the edges to make for easier hooping.

Placement on flag

Lining up with the grid


     I used the grid on my cutting table to help me line up the letters evenly and place the teepee design in each of the four corners.


Teepee design placement


     I cut painter's tape into 1/4" strips and used it to mark my placement.  Then I drew a small mark with chalk so I remembered which of the four corners was the center of the designs.

Almost done


     I used the templates to cut out the felt for the appliqués.  I hooped the fabric and used some tearaway stabilizer underneath.  I had some problems with my brown thread but otherwise everything went well.  Tearing away the stabilizer from behind the teepee design required a bit of time and effort.  After I did the embroidery I cut the flag to size.  I then cut a second piece and placed right sides together.  I sewed around the top, right side and bottom and then turned and topstitched.  On the left side I placed a band of felt over the raw edges and then topstitched it in place.  This gave me a sturdy area to insert the grommets.  I placed the grommets and I was all done.  It was a fun project.

No comments:

Post a Comment