Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Sewing with Vinyl

WonderClips and hem


     This past summer I made some marine vinyl into panels that were used to provide 'hiding space' under some shelves.  The client has a glass blowing business and does classes in their studio.  They needed something sturdy to place around the shelves to hide supplies.

     These were quite wide so there was a lot of fabric to work with.  Because the vinyl shows holes I could not pin the hems in place.  My large WonderClips to the rescue.  I measured and clipped and then took it to the sewing machine.

      I needed to use a heavy thread and a large needle and my teflon foot.  I also increased my stitch length to about 4.  This provides enough holding power without too many needle penetrations that could weaken the vinyl.

Small WonderClips and Velcro
 

     I then sewed Velcro to the top,  There was no need to turn under the top edge because the vinyl doesn't fray.  (We probably didn't need to hem either but they liked the look of a hem versus just a cut edge on the bottom).  This time I used the smaller WonderClips to hold the Velcro in place.  To make it more manageable, I rolled the piece and then unrolled and rerolled as I sewed.

Sewing on the Velcro

     Not the most exciting project, but a nice change of pace.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment