Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Two Fabric Tassel Pillow

Inspiration photo



     I had some fabric and trim leftover from a valance I had made for my sewing studio.  I thought a pillow would be a fun way to use some of that fabric.  I had seen a photo in a magazine and that became my inspiration.

Sewing on trim


     First I dug though my stash of fabric scraps and found a coordinating solid in my quilting cottons. Because it was lighter weight than my home dec fabric, I applied an iron interfacing to the back of it to give it more weight.  The interfacing I used was ShirTailor, the same one I use when making T-shirt quilts.

Sewing top and bottom pieces together


     After deciding that I would use approximately one fourth solid and three fourths print on the pillow front I cut my pieces slightly larger than I needed.  I chose these proportions so I could have a full flower on the front.  I then stitched the trim to the bottom of the solid fabric right next to the fringe.

Close up of sewing


     I then pinned the top and bottom pieces together and stitched directly on that line of stitching so that I knew that the tape of the trim would not show.

Lining cut to size
 

      I cut my pillow lining from a napped sateen lining the exact size I needed.  I trimmed the corners to prevent dogears on the pillow.

Lining pinned to back of front piece



     I then pinned this to the backside of the front piece and serged all around, cutting off the excess fabric from the pillow front.


Serged front piece



     I then used some painter's tape to tape the end tassels out of the way.  After getting my back piece together with the zipper, I pinned right sides together and sewed all the way around with a half inch seam allowance.


Ready for pinning to back piece



     Turned it right side out and inserted the pillow form and now I have a fun pillow using just leftover fabrics .

Finished pillow

No comments:

Post a Comment