Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Redo of House Front Part 3

Cushions for front porch rockers

     As Part of the redo of the front of the house I decided to make new cushions for our rockers.  Several years ago I bought new foam forms covered with Dacron.  When I finally went to start the project this past January I found that the glue had given way.

Oh dear, the glue gave way

     I took a needle and thread and whipstitched the edges of the Dacron together.  I decided to also make a muslin cover to make it easier to remove the cushion covers for washing.

All better

New muslin covers

     Not the most elegant looking muslin cover but since it was going to be covered anyway, why spend lots of time making it pretty.

Comfy new cushion

     I used a raspberry colored Sunbrella fabric for the cushions with a striped grey background Sunbrella fabric for the cording.  I cut it on the bias so the stripes angle around.  I added a zipper on the back of the cushion that extends into the sides to make it easier to remove the covers.

Pretty grey striped fabric for the cording

     The front door matches this raspberry color.  The grey stripe originally matched the house color when it was grey.  It still looks okay with the blue house.  That is what happens when it is several years (think 6 years) between the purchase of the fabric and the execution of the project.  

     Next week I will show you the transformation of the rockers and table with some spray paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment