Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Quilt Retreat March 2019

Store sample as inspiration

     Quilt Retreat March 2019 started on a Thursday this year.  I picked up my friend Kris and we headed up to Hillpoint WI to spend time sewing and eating with our other friends.

First quilt top done at retreat

     Of course we have to stop at a couple of our favorite quilt stores on the way up.  First was Patched Works in Elm Grove.  I bought a Halloween strip set that was on sale plus some pretty sparkly Christmas fabric.

Frustrating pinwheel quilt top

     Next stop was Mill House Quilts in Waunakee.  There I fell in love with a large print fabric but didn't know what I could do with it.  I saw a sample hanging in the shop that used large squares alternating with 4-patch blocks.  Perfect!  With help from Kris I chose several coordinating fabrics.

Another baby quilt

     Finally we made it to the retreat.  That afternoon/evening I put together my first quilt top.  I already had made the blocks at the last retreat so it was just a matter of arranging them on the wall and sewing them together.

Eileen's Cranberry Chutney quilt top

     I spent all day Friday and Saturday piecing my next top.  I had cut the pieces at home but after sewing together the strips I had to cut the triangles to make the blocks.  As I was about half way through sewing the triangles together, Kris looks over and says they don't look like the picture.  Sure enough, I had sewn them together wrong.  Instead of looking like a pinwheel they looked liked a bullseye.  Thankfully Eileen, Joni, Nancy, Carol, Kris and Hilda all helped me take them apart.  Great to be sewing with friends.

A friend's quilt top in primary colors

     I put them together the correct way but the instructions didn't give you any directions for pressing or adding on the corner pieces.  Very frustrating.  I was so glad to finally get it together.  On Sunday, I did get most of another quilt top done, just a baby size.  I added the borders after getting home.  It was great to be with my friends even though the sewing didn't work out as planned.  Of course the conversation and sharing of ideas is what the retreat is all about.  I love seeing what everyone else is working on.

No comments:

Post a Comment