Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Is This Spring?


I had thought that when the groundhog didn't see his shadow on February 2nd that we were due to have an early spring. We have had only a couple of nice days and it is still cold, damp and windy out there. Hurry up spring, I need some warmth and sunshine.
The bedroom valances have been delivered and all 400 plus staples have been removed from the two seat cushions. My right hand is so sore from holding the staple remover and then wielding the pliers while my left hand has several wounds from being in the way when the tool slipped. Ouch! Now the fun will start when I get to sew the new covers and cording. Just had a bunch of shirts dropped off for embroidery. This should keep me busy until I leave for my classes next week. I am really looking forward to being at Custom Home Furnishings Academy and learning new things.
In class, Lauren finished cutting out all the pieces for her tote bag including the interfacing. Grace almost finished her nightshirt but will be taking some time off as soccer season is starting. Meghan got the neck band on her sport top and was pinning all the hems while Julia finished pinning her sewing bag and started some sewing.
Did a ten miler early Friday morning before leaving for retreat and then did 7 miles this morning, most of it in a zone 3 heartrate. Friday is a speed workout with the trainer and then 13 miles on Sunday before my flight to North Carolina.

Retreat this weekend at Homestead Quilting Retreat was a blast. It was so much fun to get together with old friends and just sew. I finished my 'retreat quilt', a quilt I had started at a class several years ago and then worked on a little each year at retreat, mostly because it was quite boring. Also finished all the blocks for my son's wedding quilt and will now start to put them together. Did a little hand sewing on the binding for a quilt for the family room. I have included a few photos of some of the amazing work others have done.
One last thing to share, I just finished reading an incredible book. It is Lighting the Way, Nine Women Who Changed Modern America. It is by Karenna Gore Schiff. I have to say I have never enjoyed history, it was my worst subject in school and I can't remember dates and all that. This book profiled 9 women and the way it was written just kept me reading. I'm sure I still won't remember dates but the lessons I learned will stay with me. It has made me challenge the way I think about things now also. What more could you ask for from a book?

No comments:

Post a Comment