Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 2, 2021

Twin T-shirt Quilts

 

Final test layout

     I had a client reach out to me to make a couple of t-shirt quilts for her two youngest boys.  She had previously had some done for her older two boys when she lived elsewhere.  She brought along the other quilts to show me what she wanted.  Along with the quilts to show me, she also brought two large boxes of t-shirts.  They were all labeled with whether she wanted front, back or both the front and back.


Ready for the borders

     I then started by cutting the t-shirts apart and laying them on the floor to get an approximate layout.  I determined the width of each column and made the first one, cutting each t-shirt to the approximate size, added the iron-on interfacing and then to the exact size.  For each subsequent column I had to figure out the correct size so the columns would be the same length.  Then I added a border.  Next step was to take them to a quilter as I could not do that.

Finished quilt #1

     I had bought black flannel for the backing that I pre-washed so it wouldn't shrink.  The quilter, Second Street Stitch, did a large meandering stitch with dark grey thread.  These were large quilts, 62" x 105" and 64" x 107".   After picking them up I added the binding.

Finished quilt #2

     I sewed the binding to the back of the quilt and then brought it to the front and topstitched it, no hand sewing on these.  I think they came out pretty good and the client did like them.

Detail of binding

 



No comments:

Post a Comment