Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 22, 2021

Dining Room Wall Hangings

 

Delft Blue designs wall hangings

     In my dining room I have a wall of blue and white plates, some are antiques and some are new.  When I saw these embroidery designs at Embroidery Library I knew I wanted to stitch them out for my dining room.  I wasn't sure exactly what I wanted to do with them and after much thought I decided to replace some framed prints that I had hanging on the wall above the thermostat.

All stitched out

     I bought the XL size designs and stitched them out on white felt using Isacord thread, 3951 for the Dusty Blue, 3641 for the Country Kitchen Blue and 3654 for the Blue Ink.  Using the dimensions of the framed prints that I was replacing I came up with my cutting plan.

Canal scene

Country cottage

Floral Medallion I

Floral medallion II

Tall ship

Windmill

     I cut the felt 8 1/4" square and framed it with 1 " strips of the dark blue fabric.  The white shimmer fabric for the background was cut 3" wide.  I pressed all the seams to the frame pieces to prevent shadowing behind the white fabric.  I bought all the fabrics at Patched Works at the same time as I bought the fabrics for the table runner from last week's blog.

Pressed to the dark

     I used fabric from my stash for the backing and some fusible fleece.  I stitched in the ditch around both sides of the blue frame fabric.

Ready to get quilted

     To give the piece just a bit more pizzazz I added a silver flange before putting on the binding.  I cut this 1.5" wide and pressed it in half.  Then I used the same dark blue fabric to bind the wall hanging. 

Back 

     I sewed some plastic rings to the top and then just nailed a few small nails into the wall to hang the pieces.  I really happy with how these turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment