Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 29, 2021

Blanket to Scaldinos and Pillows

 

Two scaldinos, using both sides of the blanket

     A friend owns rental place out west.  She wanted a couple of things for the beds.  She bought a blanket and asked me to make a couple of scaldinos and pillows.  A scaldino is a mini comforter for the foot of the bed, a foot warmer.  You will often find them in hotel rooms to protect the main comforter from suitcases being placed on the bed.

New serged edge with Wooly Nylon

     I cut the two ends off of the blanket at eighteen inches wide.  Then I removed the stitching that was currently on the edges as I would not be able to match it.  I rounded the corners (as the original blanket had) and using Wooly Nylon thread in my upper and lower loopers of my serger, I did an edge finish all around. 

Pillows

     Next up were the pillows.  She had bought four lumbar pillows forms.  She wanted them just simple, no cording.  I cut the first two pieces and then realized I would have enough 'fabric' to do so nice matching.  I did uses both sides of the blanket as the 'right' side of the 'fabric' so she would have different but matching pillows.

Knit backing

Serging the edges

     Because the blanket was a bit open/loosely woven, I opted to apply a fusible knit backing to add some sturdiness to the fabric.  I then serged around the edges to prevent fraying.

Side seam

Top seam

     I sewed them together, carefully matching the motifs on the top and sides.  After placing the insert inside the cover, I hand stitched it closed with a ladder stitch.  You couldn't tell which part I hand stitched, the weave of the fabric hid it so well.  This was really a fun project.  You don't always need to start with fabric from a bolt for your home decor project.

No comments:

Post a Comment