Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 5, 2021

Baseball Jersey T-shirt Quilt

 

Finished quilt

     Recently I had a client want a t-shirt quilt made from her son's baseball jerseys.  She wanted the squares to be cut larger than my usual 13 inches to be sure as much of the jersey as possible was shown.  Her other request was for it to have sashing in between the squares.  I prepped the jerseys with fusible interfacing and then cut the squares 15 x 15 for a finished size of 14 x 14. I also had to stitch down the plackets so they would stay nice and flat.   I found a dark green fabric that closely matched most of the jerseys.  After I finished piecing the top, we discussed whether or not to quilt it.  I could have added fleece to the back and just do some tacking stitching.  She chose to have the quilting done.

Grey flannel backing

     I chose a medium gray flannel for the back and took it all to the quilter.  Chris from Second Street Stitch in Antioch did a great job as usual.  She takes her time to avoid the buttons and plackets and it all looks so great afterwards.

Avoiding the buttons and placket

Meandering quilting pattern

     After I got it back from the quilter, I added the binding.  I opted to use the same color as the sashing for a nice monochromatic look.  I stitched the binding to the back of the quilt and then brought it around to the front and topstitched it in place.  When I do fancier quilts, I stitch the binding to the front and then bring it around to the back and hand stitch it in place.

Binding topstitched in place

     The client did do some of the prep work by cutting the jerseys to have a front and a back and then she laid them out in the desired pattern and sent a picture with the layout.  Made it quite easy to put it together then, no thinking on my part ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment