Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 1, 2023

Miss M's Halloween Costume, A Pretty Witch

 

Miss M as a pretty witch

     When my daughter asked if I would make a witch costume for my granddaughter I said yes.  I thought a black dress and maybe a cape.  Instead she dropped off black velour fabric with silver moons all over it and some purply mesh fabric with sparkly spiderwebs.

Pattern

     I measured my granddaughter and figured out what size to make.  Then I started with the cutting.

Cutting the mesh fabric

     Cutting the mesh fabric left sparkles all over the table and me.  Cutting the velour left black fuzzies everywhere.  I cleaned the table and me multiple times.  The mesh fabric and the velour didn't like to play well, I had to use LOTS of pins.  The mesh was also difficult to hem.  I probably could have just left a raw edge as it was not going to fray.

Finished costume

     The construction took a bit of time as I had to pin everything to keep it together.  The first sleeve I had to redo because the mesh kept moving.  I basted the two parts of the sleeve together twice to make sure it didn't move.  

Sleeve detail

     The belt of the costume had an attached skirt of mesh.  My daughter didn't buy boning for it and I didn't have any in my stash.  I knew it needed something otherwise the belt would collapse.  I cut short pieces of shade rib and sewed them in in place of the boning.  I did find silver eyelets in my stash so I was able to use those instead of having to make a bunch of buttonholes.  I did smash one because I forgot to use the second part of the tool to hammer it in place.

Belt detail

     When I cut the belt pieces I did make sure to center a row of the moons.  This was a challenging costume only because of the fabric.  At least I had a pattern and didn't have to make it up like some of the costumes in the past.


No comments:

Post a Comment