Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

I Did It!!!


My goal for the year was to run a half-marathon in under 2 hours. My fastest prior to this was 2:06 so I needed to take off at least 6 minutes which didn't seem like a lot but it was. My daughter and I have been working with Lauri from TFP since January. I then hurt myself shoveling the record snow fall we had in February and had to stop running for a few weeks. My hubby and I drove to Nashville on Thursday morning and my daughter and her husband came down after they finished teaching on Thursday. On Friday we picked up our packets at the expo and got our corral changed to a lower number so that we would be running with others trying for a two hour finish. We were unable to get to a port-a-potty prior to the start of the race because of the very long lines. That led to some issues during the race that I won't discuss here;-). We were doing well at the 10 mile mark and said if we can keep up this pace we will make it. At mile 12 with another hill to run we lost it. We finally had to walk some and I thought at that time we had blown our chance of getting in under the two hour mark. We were holding hands and crying but then we made it to the top and there was a band playing 'Johnny be Good" and that got the adrenaline flowing again and I picked up my pace. In my mind I thought 'Okay I will try to get as close to 2 hours as I can'. As I was rounding the last corner I got a cramp in my right calf. As I was swearing under my breath I poured it on as best I could and limped over the finish line. The clock read 2:05 something so I knew I was close. When I finally found my hubby and daughter at the end I found out I had made it at 1:59:29. I Did It!!! My daughter also made it with a time of 1:59:57! I couldn't believe it. But all the hard work paid off and we accomplished our goal. In my age group I was 32 out of 855. I have never placed that high. It was worth the effort but I am still sore several days later but Lauri says that is to be expected as we really pushed our bodies hard. She will give us a week or two to recover and then it is time to train for the next race. I don't know if I am excited or dreading the next race.
In cleaning out the back area of the basement, so far I have a stack of boxes for Salvation Army plus an ironing board and a display rack. There is also a microwave oven to go. Hopefully I will have it finished in another month or two.


In class, Lauren is working along on her purse, Katie made her belt and started cutting out her round neck blouse, Meghan is working on her purse and Julia finished cutting out her nightshirt and will start the zigzagging next week. I have three girls signed up for my beginning sewing camp in June. It should be fun.
I have finished the Christening gown from a wedding dress and also made a muscle shirt out of an oversized t-shirt. This week I have a coaching session scheduled for Friday with JoAnne Lenart-Weary for my Color with No Regrets business. Today is my luncheon with my CEO advisory group. I am looking forward to sharing all I have accomplished since our last meeting.
We are finally having a little bit of spring here. I have included some pictures to counteract those with the snow from a couple of weeks ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment