Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Dorm Room Chair Covers

Front/back cut



    A client contacted me for some quick chair covers for her daughter's dorm room.  The backs of the desk chairs weren't very pretty and clashed with how the girls decorated the room.


Ties cut
 

    The mom picked up two different fabrics and gave me the chair dimensions.  I cut the back and front allowing for ease and also the depth of the chair back.  I made sure to center part of the design on each of the pieces.

Tube turner


     I created the ties by cutting 4-1/2 inch strips of the fabric.  Didn't have enough fabric to plan for placement of the design but they came out about the same anyway.  I then folded them in half, stitched the long edge and then used my tube turner to quickly turn them right side out and press then.

Boxing the corner


     I serged around three sides of the back/front pieces and then stitched them together, catching the ends of the ties in the side seams.  I turned up a double 1-1/2 hem at the bottom.  Then I boxed the corners to give the piece the depth it need to go over the chair backs.

Point press turner


     I used my point press turner to get nice neat corners when I turned the cover back right side out.

Boxed corner detail


     This is how the finished corner looked and below is the cover on one of my chairs.  I'm sure they will look much better on the proper sized chair.

Finished cover


No comments:

Post a Comment