Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Medal Embroidery


All done stitching


     My husband and I are participating in a series of races in Wisconsin.  You get a medal for finishing the race.  This year all the medals in the series are the same except for the color of ribbon.

Basting box for placing the ribbon


     There was a sticker on the back of some of them indicating the race but no other identifying info.  I decided to embroider the name of the race on the ribbon.

     I measured the width of the ribbon and chose a heavier font to lay on top of the grosgrain ribbon.  I adjusted the height of the lettering to fit on the ribbon and then adjusted the width of the name if necessary so I could do them in my 5 x 7 hoop.  I then added a basting stitch.

Holding the medals while stitching


     I hooped sticky paper and stitched the first color which was the basting box.  I then laid the ribbon on the sticky and repeated the basting box to hold the ribbon down.  I did have to support the medal as it stitched the lettering since it was heavy and may have pulled the ribbon off the sticky paper.

     Then all I had to do was remove the bating stitch, tear the ribbon off the paper and pick out all the little pieces on the back.  We will now be able to always know which medal came from which race.


No comments:

Post a Comment