Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Memory Quilt

Layout graph


     My daughter teaches at a Catholic school.  Near the end of the last school year, one of the mom's was killed in a random shooting while coming home from a weekend away with the family.  It was devastating to say the least.

Batting and backing


      They asked me to make a quilt for each child.  The kids in each of their grades drew a loving note or picture for the child.  They also included photos of them with their mom and some of their classmates.

Top pinned in place


     I graphed out where I would put the photos and children's squares.  Then I added squares from my scraps to fill out the other places.  The original thought was to include pieces from the mom's clothing but it was much too soon for the family to part wth anything.

Sewn, ready to be trimmed


     After piecing the top, I layered the batting, flannel backing with the right side up and then the quilt top, right side down.  I stitched around, leaving an opening.  I then turned it all right sides out, edge stitched around the outside edges and then quilted around each of the photos.

    I still tear up when I think about these quilts.  I just hope they have brought some comfort to the children.

No comments:

Post a Comment