Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Cuddle Cakes Quilt

Finished quilt


     This summer we vacationed as a family in Fairfield Glade TN.  The group included our three children, two in-laws, one fiancee and three grandchildren plus my husband and I.  I had bought some quilt kits a year or two ago and decided that this vacation would be a fun time to give them to the grandchildren.

Applique block

     For our granddaughter, I bought a kit (from Mill House Quilts) that used Minky fabric and flannel.  The kit included the book with directions for the flower appliqué block.  The background was a white flannel with pink flannel flowers and green print cotton leaves.  The stem was a jumbo rick-rack and the center was cut from the Minky fabric.

Label with date

     The applique blocks went together fairly easily using the blanket stitch on my sewing machine and fusible web.  The rest of the quilt was a challenge though.  The Minky fabric was difficult to cut with the rotary cutter and it left a mess everywhere.  The fabric stretched when sewing it together and the blocks were not all even.

Label with piecer and quilter listed


     The kit was not very large so I added some fabric from my stash, lime green and hot pink flannels.  I then bought some flannel for the backing and was able to use the leftover flannels to make a multi color binding.  I'm kind of liking doing that, I wound up doing it on all three quilts for the grandkids.

Detail of quilting
 
     I had it quilted with a flower pattern and then made a couple of labels for the back.  She loved how soft it was.  The evening I gave the grandkids their quilts, we had a 'sleepover' in grandma and grandpa's room.  They used their new quilts like sleeping bags.


No comments:

Post a Comment