Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Teal Swing Dress

Pattern

     I had a beautiful piece of teal knit fabric in my stash and wanted a new dress for fall/winter.  I liked the swing dresses I had bought at Old Navy, so I decided to sew one for myself.

Taping the pieces together

     The bottom part of the dress is so big around, I had to tape the pattern pieces together.

Laying it out in my foyer

     The only place in the house that was big enough to lay out the fabric to cut, was my foyer floor and even then I couldn't get it all flat at the same time.

Stabilizing the neckline

     I used pins to mark the right side of the fabric because it was difficult to tell them apart.

Stay tape I used

     The sewing went much easier than the cutting.  I stabilized the neck edges as the pattern directed using Design Plus stay tape.  I also stabilized the shoulder seams so that they wouldn't stretch.

Sewn shoulder seam with the stay tape in place


     The pattern called for a hook and eye opening in the back but after I made it I realized I probably could have skipped that part.  The dress went over my head without undoing it.

Finished dress

     I think this pattern has more width in the skirt than the dresses I have from Old Navy.  Also the fabric is a little heavier so it doesn't lay against the body as much.  I like the feel of the dress, I just wish it had a little less volume.  If I make this again I might play with that a bit.

Detail of neck and shoulder

     The fabric was a dream to work with and I love the color.  I already have worn it a couple of different ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment